Are you looking for the best laptop for engineering students? Well, you have come to the right place. Nowadays, laptops have become an important part of our academics. No matter what course or degree you have taken, having a laptop makes things convenient for you. The same applies even to engineers and engineering students.
It doesn’t matter whether you have opted for mechanical engineering or electrical engineering, you will need a laptop to carry on with your work. You need a laptop to complete your assignments, projects, and also to complete your studies. Talking about laptops, you will come across different models in the market. But you need to get a good laptop for engineering students. There are some recommended specs that your laptop needs to have. Having these specs will help you to accomplish your degree-related tasks.
If you are a new engineering student looking for the best laptop brand for engineering students, then we have got your back. We have compiled a list of some of the best laptops suitable for engineers. These laptops consist of all the specs that are important for engineering students. So without wasting time, let’s walk you through the reviews.
Recommended Hardware for Engineering Students & Engineers
The choice of laptops for engineering students depends on the line of engineering they are in. No two categories of engineering students will require the same specs. For buying purposes, we can divide engineers into 3D and 2D engineers. For example, if you are into civil, aeronautical, or mechanical engineering, then you fall into the category of 3D engineers. For you guys, you need to worry about dedicated graphic cards.
On the other hand, 2D engineers like electrical, chemical, computer, or software engineers, they can opt for any latest laptop they want. All you have to do is make sure that it runs on Windows.click here to read more
Here we have listed the recommended specs for engineering laptops:
For an engineering student, a laptop with 8GB RAM is a must. This will allow you to work smoothly without facing any lag situation. You can work with multiple web pages and software open and it still won’t lag.
For both 3D/2D engineers, Intel Core i5/AMD Ryzen Chips will be suitable. 2D engineers can also go for core i3 or other AMD processors, in case, they are short on budget.
If you want your laptop to perform the best in your class, then you should settle for the writing/reading speeds of SSDs. This will help you to increase your productivity.
For 3D engineers, any GPU with 2GB VRAM is fine. You can settle for any laptop that has been released in the last 3 years. 2D engineers don’t have to worry about their graphics cards. If you are a professional engineer, then you can consider opting for workstation cards.
When it comes to displaying, you should get the best 13-inch laptop for engineering students, preferably, with a matte display. As far as resolution is concerned, 1080p is recommended for all engineers. This will provide you a lot of workspace areas. Not just that but it will also scale up nicely with any software you are using. You should avoid buying 4k resolution displays. They are anyway very expensive and not needed.
Since you need to carry your laptop almost every day to class, anything around 3lbs will be fine. If you can manage anything lesser than 3lbs, even better. But settling for a laptop more than 3lbs can stress your back. When it comes to display, you should get the best 13-inch laptop for engineering students with full HD resolution. This will provide you a lot of workspace areas. Opting for a bigger screen than 13 inches means you will have to go for a bigger laptop which can be heavy to carry.
10 Best Laptops for Engineering Students
Here is the list of best laptops for engineering students. These are all top-rated models available. If you have a flexible budget, then you can pick from any of the models listed below. That being said, let’s check out the details now.
Surface Book 2 – best laptops for engineering students
If you are a 3D engineer, then this could be the best choice for you. Using computers in the lab is kind of boring. But with your laptop, you don’t have to work on nay random old machine. With Surface 2, you can run any engineering software you want. It is suitable for all types of engineering projects. It comes with all the main specs you would like to have on your laptop. This is undoubted, one of the best laptops for computer engineering students. But before you think of investing in this laptop, let’s take a look at its features.
Features of Surface Book 2
- Powered by a 7th generation Intel Dual Core i5 Processor
- Comes with 256 GB of storage
- Has 8 GB RAM for smooth operation
- Intel HD Graphics 620 integrated GPU
- Vibrant Pixel Sense display with an improved 13.5″ touchscreen
- Four versatile modes of use and new USB C port
Surface Pro 7 – best engineering laptops
Surface Book Pro 7 is yet another fantastic choice for engineering students. It has received great reviews from users who have used it. From stylish looks to excellent performance, this laptop has a lot to offer. The absence of a dedicated graphics card in a surface pro can be an issue for many users. Although it can run almost all 3d projects, some projects may create problems. It comes with more than 11 hours of battery life means you don’t have to charge it frequently. Also, it weighs just 1.7 lbs which makes it highly portable.
Features of Surface Pro 7
- Can be used as both laptop and tablet
- Powered by a 10th gen Intel core processor
- Comes with both USB c and USB ports for connecting to docking stations, displays, and more
- Ultra-slim and weighs just 1.70 pounds
Dell XPS 13 9360 – best laptops for engineering
Dell has always provided users with high-performance products and this laptop is not an exception. This is in fact, one of the best dell laptops for engineering students. From long battery life to lightweight design, it has been designed to make your life easier while working with the laptop. Even in terms of performance, it’s going to blow your mind. It has 8GB RAM for smooth operation without lagging. If you have a flexible budget, then you can consider opting for this device.
Features of Dell XPS 13 9360
- Run by Intel 8th Generation Quad-Core i5-8250U 1.60 GHz
- Comes with 13.3″ Infinity Edge Touchscreen FHD 1920 x 1080p display
- 128 GB M.2 SSD and 8GB 1866 MHz LPDDR3 RAM for faster and better performance
- A backlit keyboard, wireless-AC, and Bluetooth combo
- Weighs up to 2.7 lbs
- The long battery life of 11 hours
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit as its operating system
MacBook Pro – best laptop for engineers
We all know what kind of performance to expect from MacBook Pro. It is one of the best laptops available for engineers. MacBook Pro is not just about good looks but it also gives you excellent performance. In comparison to other laptops on the list, this is quite expensive but it is worth every penny. Before you think of buying a MacBook Pro for your engineer classes, you should once take a look at its features.
Features of MacBook Pro
- Run by 2.4 GHz 8th-Generation quad-core Intel Core i5 Processor
- Brilliant retina display with True Tone technology
- Powered by Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655
- Ultrafast SSD
- Equipped with four Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports
- Battery life up to 10 hours
- 802.11 AC Wi-Fi with the latest Apple-designed keyboard
Asus ZenBook 13 Ultra Slim – laptop for engineering student
Asus is yet another brand that is hard to resist. They are known to make high-quality laptops with innovative features. If you are looking for a high-performance laptop, then this could be the best choice for you. It comes with all the features that you would want in your device. It has an excellent display which provides you more working space while working. Check out the features, before making your decision.
Features of Asus ZenBook 13 Ultra Slim
- Comes with a 13.3-inch wide-view Full-HD Nano Edge bezel display
- Powered by the Intel Core i5-8265u processor
- Equipped with fast storage and memory of up to 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD.
- 8GB LPDDR3 RAM
- Provides you extensive connectivity with USB type C, HDMI, Wi-Fi 5 (802.11 AC), and Micro SD card reader
- A lightweight laptop that weighs just 2.5 pounds
- Comes with Windows 10 pre-installed in it
Acer Aspire A515 54G – top laptops for engineering students
Acer is yet another top brand when it comes to laptops. They have some of the finest models in their collection including this one. This is a powerful 8th generation Intel core laptop that can run almost any software you want. It also has all the recommended features that a laptop for engineering students should have. Other than that it is also lightweight and easy to carry.
Features of Acer Aspire A515 54G
- Run by the 8th Generation Intel Core i5 8265U Processor
- Equipped with 8GB DDR4 Memory with 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD
- Comes with a 15.6″ Full HD, widescreen LED-backlit IPS display
- Powered by NVIDIA GeForce MX250 with 2 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM
- Designed with a backlit keyboard for convenient use
- Provides a battery life of up to 9.5 hours
- Comes with Windows 10 Home operating system
Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop – best laptops for engineers
We have yet another laptop from Acer which is equally good as the first one. It features a sleek and slim design with excellent features. It is designed to give you the best performance. For an engineering student, this laptop is enough to handle all their tasks and software. If you have a flexible budget, then you can check out this model.
Features of Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop
- Comes with AMD Ryzen 3 3200U Dual-Core Processor
- 4GB DDR4 Memory and 128GB PCIe NVMe SSD
- 15.6 inches Full HD widescreen LED-backlit IPS display
- Equipped with AMD Radeon Vega 3 Mobile Graphics.
- 2 USB 2.0 Ports, 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Port, and 1 HDMI Port with HDCP support.
- Comes with a backlit keyboard
- Run time of up to 7.5 hours
- Windows 10 in S mode
MSI WP65 9TH-263 – best laptop for college engineering
If you want the best performance laptop and are willing to spend a lot of money, then this laptop from MSI will make a great choice for you. This laptop can do more than just supporting your engineering projects. With such high specs and cool design, you can use it for your entertainment as well. This laptop has more than you can expect. Check out the details below.
Features of MSI WP65 9TH-263
- Comes with a 15.6″ thin Bezel Full HD, IPS-Level display.
- For the graphics card, it has NVIDIA Quadro P620 4GB GDDR5.
- Powered by 9th Gen Intel Coffee Lake Core i7-9750H Six-Core with 2.6GHz-4.5GHz.
- 16 GB DDR4 2666 MHz with 512 GB PCIe NVMe SSD.
- Operated by Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit.
- 3 year MSI USA Warranty.
Lenovo Thinkpad E15 – best laptop for computer engineering students
Lenovo Thinkpad is one of the best-selling laptops out there. They have multiple models under this series and E15 is one of the best you can have. It features a nice design with a properly laid out keyboard. It also has a bigger display size, so that you can have more screen pace to work. With this laptop, you shouldn’t have any issues.
Features of Lenovo Thinkpad E15
- 15.6″ Full HD, TN Anti-glare 220nits display
- Integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620
- Supports an external digital monitor via USB Type-C or HDMI
- Powered by Intel 10th Gen Core i5-10210 U with UHD 620
- 32GB DDR4 RAM with 1TB SSD
- Backed by a 1-year warranty from Lenovo
- Installed with Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Lenovo Thinkpad P73 – good laptops for engineering students
We have yet another Lenovo Thinkpad model in the end. P73 is suitable for budget oriented people. It is less expensive than the other models on the list. However, that doesn’t affect its performance. It is one of the best laptops you can get for engineering. The only thing is that it is not that thin as the other models. But it can support all your tasks.
Features of Lenovo Thinkpad P73
- Powered by Intel Core i7-9850H Six-Core Processor
- 128GB DDR4 2666 MHz and 2TB NVMe Solid State Drive with 2TB 5400rpm HDD
- Equipped with NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 6GB GDDR
- For display, it has a 17.3″ FHD IPS, anti-glare, and 72% color gamut display
- Windows 10 Pro x64 as its operating system
- Comes with 3-year CUK Limited Warranty
Best Laptop For Engineering Students | Buying Guide
Remember, you will have to use the same laptop for 4 years. So make sure that you buy the right one. Just like every other product, there are certain things that you need to keep in mind while buying the best laptop for engineering graduate students. We have already discussed the recommended specs. But to make things more convenient for you, we have laid down a buying guide below.
This buying guide has all the factors that you need to consider while buying a laptop for engineers. Here you go with the details.
The first important factor to consider is the CPU. It has a great role to play in running software like AutoCAD. In engineering, you will work with many software. So you need to have a CPU with adequate speed.
For a 3D engineer to work without hassles, you should consider opting for an Intel Core i5 processor. This is the minimum requirement you need. However, if your budget permits, then you can consider getting an Intel Core i7 processor. They are considered to be the best option for your degree.
If you want the best laptop performance, then you should get a laptop with an SSD drive. It doesn’t matter what type of software you want to run, SSD will suit your requirement the best. That’s because SSD’s are more efficient and reliable than hard disk drives.
With the help of an SSD laptop, you can improve your productivity and also launch applications faster without draining your laptop battery. It will also allow you to store a large amount of work without slowing down your device.
RAM is yet another important consideration to keep in mind. The laptop you choose should have adequate RAM run and store efficiently. Having more RAM on your device will prevent it from lagging.
For best performance, 8GB RAM is the minimum requirement. If you can, then you can even go up to 12GB and 16GB RAM.
4) Graphics Card (GPU)
If you are into 3D engineering, then having a graphics card in your laptop is important. This will allow you to run 3D software on your device.
For a 3D engineer, a 2GB DDR3 graphics card is more than enough. However, if you can get a better graphics card, then it will be better for you. But then again, the budget plays an important role here. The more advanced graphics card you settle for, the more expensive will be the laptop.
5) Display Size
The display size of laptops is not that important for engineering students. But having a bigger display will make it comfortable for you to work with your laptop. But then a smaller display will give you more portability.
Having a smaller display size means a limited screen area. In other words, you will have less space for design, programming, and other functions. This is why you should go for a display size that will be comfortable in both ways. The ideal display size would be anything between 13 inches and 15 inches. This size is suitable for all types of engineers.
Even choosing the right resolution is important. No matter what type of engineering you are into, you should not settle for anything lesser than 1920 x 1080p. This will help you get the most out of your laptop.
7) Operating System
When it comes to operating systems, you have two options Windows or Mac. Mac OS is no doubt very well-crafted and provides you a stunning display. But when it comes to running an engineering software, it may not be that good enough. Like you can face compatibility issues as it doesn’t support all software. But Windows on the other hand supports almost all the engineering software you can think of. So you already know which operating system makes the best choice.
Battery life is one of the most important considerations to look into. Remember that you will have to use your laptop in your class daily. You won’t get enough charging ports in a class if you happen to run out of charge. This is why you need a laptop that can give you longer battery life.
You should go for a laptop with 10 hours of battery life or more. The longer running time it offers, the better it is for you. It also means that you don’t have to charge it frequently.
Lastly, you have to consider the weight of the laptop. It is quite obvious that you will carry your laptop almost every day to class. In this case, you need something lightweight and portable. The ideal weight would be 3lb or anything lesser than that. This will prevent your back from getting strained.
Engineering Student Software Requirements
As an engineering student, you will be running a wide variety of software on your laptop. So you need to make sure that your laptop has all the required specs to run this software smoothly. The requirements can vary based on the software you are using.
There is much software used by engineering students. But we have listed some of the most common ones with their requirements below.
- Mathcad and MATLAB require 4GB RAM and a dedicated GPU to perform intensive simulations.
- To run Excel you need 2GB RAM or more, especially if you want to run large amounts of data.
- Electrical CAD, ASPEN, and ChemCAD require an i5 or i7 core processor with 8GB RAM. If you are a 3D engineer, then you will also need a GPU.
- For Mobile Studio or LabView, you need 1GB RAM along with a converter if your device doesn’t have a serial port.
- C+ + and other similar programming languages for any type of laptop.
- For 3D CAD (Revit, CATIA, Inventor, Solid Works, and Civil 3D) you need an i5 or i7 core processor with 8GB RAM and a GPU.
- For CAE (ANSYS) you need an i5 or i7 core processor with 8GB RAM.
This should give you a good idea about the specs your laptop needs to have. Make sure you check all of it when buying a new laptop.
Best Laptop For Engineering Students | FAQs
1)Which laptop brands are the Best for Engineering Students?
You can go for any reputed brand available. The only thing you have to check is whether the laptop has all the recommended specs or not. The laptop you buy should allow you to perform all your tasks smoothly, without getting lag.
2) Do you need a powerful or high-end Laptop for Engineering?
The choice of your laptop is dependent on which category of engineering you are into. For example, if you are a 3D engineer, then you need to invest in a laptop with a dedicated graphics card. This means you will have to spend more money. But for 2D engineers, they can settle for almost any modern laptop they want.
3) What is the ideal weight for Laptops for Engineering Students?
Anything below 3lbs is considered to be an ideal weight for engineering students. Lesser the laptop weight, the easier it is for you to carry. Also, it will not strain your back.
4) How much RAM do you need for Laptops for Engineering Students?
The minimum RAM you need is 8GB, but if you can afford more RAM than that, then it’s better for you. Some engineers prefer 16GB RAM for their laptops. But that is going to cost you a fortune.
5) What operating system is suitable for Laptops for Engineers?
The best operating system for engineers is Windows as it can run engineering software easily. If you are planning to get a MAC, then you should drop the idea. MAC can lead to a lot of problems later on.
Laptops are important both for your academics and the workplace. As an engineering student, you need a laptop to complete various tasks that are possible only with a laptop. You can settle for any of the laptops mentioned in the list above. They are all top-rated models with all the right specs. Some of them are expensive, but in the end, they are worth every penny. If you have some other model in mind, just make sure that it has all the recommended specs in it. This is the most important part of buying the best laptop or tablet for engineering students.